Sunday, August 12, 2012

Today's Bit of Adventure....

Looking for a relaxing morning ride, I pedaled west on Skyline to the top of Spirit Mountain, then decided to extend the ride a bit by continuing west on the gravel section of Skyline. The gravel section that was washed out during the flood stranding several families has been repaired, but a bit further along, things are looking a bit rougher:
The pretty old stone bridge over Stewart Creek in the background; the good news is that you can walk across the washout to the bridge itself. The section of road after the bridge is in rough shape but rideable and the view from the turnout is still spectacular:

Not quite out of the woods yet....Beck's Road is closed for construction and required walking a couple of short stretches over some culvert repairs. To be truthful, these signs don't bother me too much any more:

I'm curious about the Munger Trail - I understood it was closed after the flooding, but the section that I saw from Beck's Road looked passable - anyone tried riding it lately?

All in all, a morning well spent!
Russ


1 comment:

  1. I rode it last week between Duluth and Thompson. It's pretty devastated. Lots of washouts and a few landslides. It's rideable though, I was able to safely get around all the washouts. Saw quite a few other people out on it. The section through Jay Cooke has signs saying there is a $500 fine for ignoring the park closure signs.

    I posted pictures on my Flickr acct yesterday. Search for mnbicyclecommuter's photos on flickr to see them.

    ReplyDelete