Wednesday, September 1, 2010

It is all about the bike...

This morning I(james) decided I better leave for the ride a little earlier then I have been, for the last couple times I have left for a ride, I have gotten on my bike only to realize I need to fix something... a flat tire, a bad cleat, a loose brake lever....  not soo today, I figured I would leave early to make sure when something happened, I would have plenty of time... So I arrived at the church with plenty of time to sit around and contemplate life.
Then I saw it....
 oh wait maybe it was
of course its owner was very proud to be riding his new white horse.    Its all about the bike.
Dave showed up a little later and as we decided it was time to go, Jim road up from behind us in the parking lot and we were off...
though it was dark out, it was not blurry no matter what the image looks like...
Good conversations were had.... and as Dave and I rode in the draft, we heard Jim and Rich talking about a possible new bike for Jim... So I listened intently and ask questions where appropriate, only to find he may be picking up John H's OLD(1 year) Trek Madone... what a sweet ride... then again, it is not how you ride it is how good you look... It's all about the bike....
Then just ahead we noticed a lone shadow just barely visible in the looming darkness, and off went Rich to do his typical hounding and hustling.   He pretty much left us in the dark(literally and figuratively.)  Eventually he did catch the new rider... you probably can not see them here, but you can take my word for it... they are up there...
Eventually we regrouped only to find out that Dave S was not going to ride with us.. not really sure why, maybe he was scared of the deep dark secrets that we might find out, maybe Rich just scared him away.. anyway... we continued...
Rich was on a mission today, it is always nice that when this is the case he is on a single speed, for then I know that in reality he is limited to about 25mph... something I can often do... at least in his draft... then only problem is on the hills where the draft is nearly worthless, there he put on the hurt.  I had to "dig into my suitcase or courage" as phil ligget would say and pull myself back up to the other three...
Needless to say I was tired.  It was about them that Dave(ala thor hushovd) decided to win an intermediate sprint... leaving Rich and I laughing at my inability to do much about it....
On the W Tischer hill I truly felt like a sprinter as Rich and Jim rode away from Dave an I.  I felt like I was in the autobus at the back of the race just trying to hold on... Little did I know, there was enough time for the pack to regroup and the sprint to set up... this time we took it three abreast
and then took off....... but of course if you leave a sprinter in a race, he is hard to beat....
But as you all know I can not take credit, It's all about the bike...

No comments:

Post a Comment